Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Well, I haven't done really any sewing lately. My life as a full time employed, wife and mother of 2 has taken up my sewing time. Along with the never ending pile of laundry next to my sewing machine. I did manage today between loads of laundry to get some mending done. I fixed a pocket on a pair of shorts of mine and re-attached some lace on one of my night gowns. So I guess I did sew a little. I also put two hand sewing mending projects in my little sewing basket to get to when I have time.
A friend of mine gave me a little dress for Sissy. It is really cute. I noticed that one of the buttons was missing so I dove in my buttons and found a suitable replacement. While ironing the dress one of the other buttons fell off. So now I have two to sew on. So I folded it up and stuck it in my basket. Something is gratifying to me when I am able to fix a garment. It is like bringing new life into it. Even if it is just replacing a button. I know people that would just throw it away. I just don't understand that.
I did at one time think of starting a little business of refurbishing and selling clothing. But there is not a big demand in that and I doubt I would make any money at it either. But I think it would be fun.
I did tell myself that I was not going to buy anymore fabric until I got my stash down. I have so much that I don't think that I will ever get to sewing it all. I told myself that I would just recycle old clothing and use what I already had. So we will see how that goes. LOL
I caught myself on EBay tonight looking at all the pretty fabric and wishing that JoAnn's had not closed in Monroe. That was a sad day for me. I loved that store. We still have Hancock's and Hobby Lobby and of course Wal-Mart. But there was something about JoAnn's. I loved that place. I used to go there in between classes and just look at the pattern books and drool over some of the fabric. On occasion I would buy some and then run home and hide it from my husband. He used to get mad at me when I went there because I spent too much money and had so much fabric already. Men just don't understand do they?
Well, I think I have almost wore out the pages in my Ottobre books. I have not had the courage to trace and cut a pattern yet. Maybe soon.
I thought about it this weekend but we are going out of town to play in a softball tournament. So no sewing for me. LOL
Anyway, I guess that is enough rambling for tonight. I need to get in the bed because I have to work in the morning. YUK!! I so badly want to be a SAHM. Then I think I would be able to sew a little more.

Until next time..
Sarah

1 comment:

Astrid said...

I completely understand you. I'm on maternity leave with my second daughter - I do have time for sewing now, but I can't see how I'll make room for it, when I go back to work. I laughed at you comment on the laundry - I seriously think that our laundry grow from the floor in the laundry room... :) When you have the time, you should really give Ottobre a try - it really isn't difficult! :)